9.01.2005

Art, public, and other non-related terms.


  • Public ART!

  • New Genre!

  • Corporate Art!

  • Memorials!

  • Protest art!

  • Protest ART!

  • Site Specific Art!

  • Earthworks!

  • Advertising!

  • Billboard Design!


What about the art of Sewing, and the art of Baking, and the art of War?
And Where Does Graphic Design Come In?
I think we need to expand the English language by a whole big lot. The language is what is limiting our ability to think abstractly. Where are the galleries of artesian Bread?
Not that there is a vernacular excuse for people being of different opinions. I don't think wrapping yourself in a cloak and being locked in a room with a coyote is very artistic. Joseph Beuys did.
And he did it! And articles have been published, books have been written, and on the whole he has been accepted into the general artistic community through the channels of academia. Where as I have never been reviewed, published, and discussed in scholarly circles. By some arguments, there are those who would say that I am not an artist.
I say I am an artist.
Here comes the funky bit.

We're both right.


That seems to come as a bit of a problem to my way of thinking, when I try to define public art.

  • Graffiti?

  • Commercials?

  • The Top 40?


How public is public? Can it be seen by anyone? Or everyone?
Or everyone with a TV?
Or everyone who can go to a library?
Everyone who has access to the internet?
Everyone who is running at least win98/OS9 and IE3?
Anyone who happens to walk by?
And Where Does Graphic Design Come In?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up this blog. I run a website about body detox. If that interests you, visit if you get a chance - thanks again.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home